Friday, May 27, 2011

Saturday with Muu

Okay, so now after three Saturday sessions I'm still completely confused at to what's going on here. I mean, the first Saturday I trained with two other new kids at around 13:00, the second I arrived and mostly watched the kids train at 10, today I was completely by myself except for the trainer Muu who taught the little pros last weekend and paid me no mind. Granted, I am fully thankful and relieved I did not have to relive the awkwardness of the second Saturday again this morning and even got in a really good workout, but I am a bit unsure as to what the regular schedule (if there is even one) will look like.

Aside from massive amounts of confusion it was a great day: I started off with Somboon telling me to stretch then having me do the stepping drill again as a warmup, after which he added another step which is the stepping drill but with a 1-2, hook-hook, uppercut-uppercut step pattern (instead of just one at a time). After that I did the same walking drill but now with knees, having to remember to keep my hands a little above eye level, twisting into the strike, and keeping my balance while "bouncing" as I knee. That last one really took the wind outa me.

Sometime during the warmup Muu arrived and took over while Somboon took off for a bit. After the stepping drill I did combination practice standing in place, with 1-2's and kicks from both sides, then 1-2 with knee and kick from the same side (so you punch, then knee, switch step to get back to where you were and kick with the same leg you just knee'd with). He had me then repeat the same combos on the bag (which is frakking hard with the whole switch step timing), that is until Somboon came in, told him I wasn't ready for bagwork (which I felt a little torn on considering I'd been doing it for almost the whole two weeks but I was in fact struggling pretty hard on the timing aspect and was sloppy) and made me do the "knee drill" which is just standing in place throwing as many knees as you can for as long as you can (my record: 59second).

After that Muu told me to put on some gloves and we worked blocking techniques for a little bit. Having already seen them all with Karim I was confident and Muu seemed pretty pleased with my performance as we only worked on it for a little bit before he put on the boxing pads and finished up with a bit of mittwork which was again totally fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment