Monday, May 23, 2011

Saturday #2: Aimless Wanderings and getting in the way

I'm lucky I showed up early today (NOTE: Today will always mean the day I trained here being Saturday the 21st) as I was put through a set of warm ups and then shown all the elbows before any of the kids showed up (late: at almost 10).

The warm ups were walking with strikes coming off the opposite foot. First straights, then hooks, uppercuts and later the different elbows.

The elbows are called "sok" and there is:
sok tee = downwards elbow
sok ngud = sideways elbow
(I forget the Thai) = upwards elbow
Backwards elbow
And a spinning elbow

So it went: Stepping drill punches, learn new strikes (elbows), practice on bag for a bit (really sore elbows now), stepping drill with elbows.

This took about an hour and by then the other students had arrived and this is where things got a little weird. Until now I'd either been training with Somboon or Karim on a 1-on-1 or small group basis and hadn't really done much interacting with both the other (the real) students and Moo (the other trainer) and today that's pretty much all I had.

This would have been fine if I was allowed to tag along with what the group was doing (at my own fatass pace of course), but I was kind of pushed to the side as they took the floor and from then on the class pretty much went:
They jumped rope - I warmed up and stretched (on my own accord)
They stretched - I did more stretching
They shadowboxed - Okay! So at least I can do this! (I joined in)
They did bagwork - I shadowboxed
They Sparred - I watched
They did more bagwork - I did random callisthenics and conditioning
They did muay boran - I watched
This carried on much in the same way from almost 10 to about 13:00 and mind you, all of the things I ended up doing (most of which, despite the list was merely watching/gawking and getting in their way) was not because someone kindly said, "Look here, lad. We know that our focus has to be the lil' pros here because most of 'em have fights coming up but go do this in a corner for a bit till the next rotation" or something. No, I was just told "Martial arts you can do on your own" and was left with that.

Oh well, I got by fine enough (maybe not much of a workout but I did have fun watching the real deal all morning). Still, next time I'm definitely following the group as much as I can (when they jump rope I'm finding a fucking rope) until told otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment