Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Wednesday 2

Karim had a cold (how do you get a cold in Thailand?) today so he wasn't able to join me in the warmups and bagwork (as he usually does to show me the proper form and help my shitty sense of timing).

After a quick stretch I started out with the stepping drill: punches and elbows. Then moved on to two rounds of shadow boxing. My physical shape is as such that if it weren't for repeated stops to discuss my dumbass combo attempts and piss poor technique I would not have likely been able to complete even the first round (I don't know how many minutes because I can't see the clock with my glasses off).

After shadow boxing Karim put some gloves on and I did a round of punch defence then a round of kick defence, with constant reminders to circle round to the back after blocking and to move to the same-side as the punch/kick (kick with the left, turn around his left).

Afterwards I put on some gloves and did a short bit of bagwork with some basic combos:
1-2-kick, 1-2 x2 hooks, 1-2 x2 uppercuts, 1-2 elbow, 1-2 knee

My knees are still horrible, as I keep hitting the sides of the bag instead of the center and keep attacking with a square body instead of turning my hips and shoulders to deflect counters. That and my arms and knees are too low.

After the disappointing performace on the bagwork we moved onto my so-far-favourite drill: boxing pads (no muay thai padwork yet). We did a couple of rounds and after each round he had me do a "flurry" of 1-2,1-2,1-2's for as long as I can. At the moment my best is 30 seconds.

The end of class I did 2x25 situps with him hitting me in the stomach with the mitts.

No comments:

Post a Comment